The Trust provides specialist conservation advice to the Saltburn Valley Gardens Steering Group, working to maintain and improve this important Grade II Listed Historic Park. Work includes repairs to the grade II listed Prince Albert Consort Memorial – an early example of architectural recycling, having first served as the portico of Barnard Castle railway station until the 1860s when it was relocated to Saltburn to serve as an eye catcher.
The grade II* listed Saltburn War Memorial project was led by Tees Heritage Trust Ltd in partnership with the Friends of Saltburn War Memorial and Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council.
Gifted to the town by anonymous donors, the memorial was designed in the Arts-and-Crafts style by American born sculptor Sir William Reynolds-Stephens (1862-1943) and was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 14th November 1920.
Funds for the recent conservation work were raised by the local community – £19,381 – topped up with two gifts, each of £3,000 from the Lt Col. N.L. Cohen Charitable Trust and the Les Bell Family Fund.
Conservation specialists Eura Conservation Ltd were appointed to sensitively repair and stabilise the granite cross and weathered and decayed sculpture, restoring it as close as possible to its original appearance. Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council recently embellished the memorial’s setting by installing new wooden benches, a flagpole and wreath rail under their Public Realm capital programme while Carillion Plc re-laid free-of-charge the stone paving around the War Memorial and structural survey work was donated by Consulting Engineers and Surveyors Billinghurst George & Partners.
Saltburn War Memorial was re-dedicated at a special event on Sunday 2nd October 2016 to mark the completion of the essential conservation and improvement works.